Thursday 16 March 2017

Saruman, Snakemen, Spectre, and Savages!

A bit of a mix this week.

Recently I purchased the mounted Saruman miniature from Citadel's 1980's Lord of the Rings range. I bought him to go with the Uruk-Hai, which I blogged about last week. The miniature was part of a set, one dismounted version (which I don't own), and the mounted version. I like the mounted version, the details are great, although I am not a 100% convinced on the design of his staff. It looks a little too much like a 'fly swatter' of the White Hand!

Leaving aside the staff, he has a more unusual look than other versions of Saruman. To me, he looks similar to Gandalf, which makes sense given that they were fellow Istari. Also, he look less 'sharp' and evil, and almost more 'twee'. I like this look. For me, Saruman was'nt harsh and inherantly evil looking, as portrayed in the films or many pieces of artwork. In the books and background, Saruman was essentially a good wizard (the best in fact), who felt betrayed Cirdan for giving a Ring of Power to Gandalf, and who felt undermined by Gandalf and the Elves. So, he ended up introverted, distrustful and desirous of power for himself. This led him to be corrupted by the desire for the One Ring, and, for a time, by Sauron, although he broke free of Sauron. Saruman seemed to be to some extent a tragic figure.

Other than Saruman, I have painted more Snakemen, including a converted Snakeman with pistol. In addition I painted a Reaper Miniatures Ghost miniature for use as a Spectre for the Snakeman army. Finally, I have painted and based a couple of Savage Orcs. These are also for use with the Snakeman army. The idea is to have an Orc Ally Contingent, containing 20 Orc Archers and Contingent Commander, to add some much needed missile troops. They will be more on those next week, once I have painted them.

Enjoy :)
 ME 62 Saruman the White. 
I have, unsuprisingly, gone for a white colour scheme, and thought the pony might look good white as well.
As I mentioned above, he looks more twee than terrifying.
 He is mounted on a 40mm round lipped base.
 Right side with the fly swatter staff.
 Rear view.
 More Snakemen.
The painting of Snakemen never seems to end!
 A converted S'lararet Splintered Fang. 
I bought him from e-bay, but he had a hand missing, so I added a spare pistol hand from GW's Empire Milita set.
 Another S'lararet Splintered Fang. 
I converted him slightly by twisting the tail 90 degrees.
 Higgat Dwarf Slicer.
 A converted Higgat Dwarf Slicer. 
I twisted the left arm so it looks like he is more 'en garde'.
 Desert Spectre.
This a Reaper Miniatures Ghost or Wraith, or something. I bought it about 15 years ago, painted it rather badly, and so recently paint stripped and re-painted it. I have painted it to suggest a desert blanket, and to be used as a Spectre for a bound Etheral Host for the Snakemen.
 Rear view.
It is mounted on a 40mm Lippeed Round base to give you an idea of the size.
 Two of Citadel's 1980's ORC2 range Savage Orcs. 
On the left is 'Grobble', and on the right Slobl'. 
I have painted them up in an roughly Native American style, with a slight nod to the Apache. The idea is to have an Ally Contingent for the Snakemen that suggests the Snakemen have allied with a tribe or two of Orcs dwelling in the South of the New World. 
Incidentally, they will be normal Orcs, rather than actual Savage Orcs.
Rear view. 

Next week will hopefully be the completed Orc ally Contingent, and maybe a couple more Snakemen.

2 comments:

  1. Love these old snakemen! Really great miniatures and sculpts. This makes me want to paint a few!
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great sculpts, full of little details and character. With a few minor conversions they can provide a lot more variety.
      It would be great to see you paint some. :)

      Delete